Diary and notebook of whatever tech problems are irritating me at the moment.

20071121

FontPage on Wine

I was trying to get capella reader to operate on Wine but it couldn't find it's custom music notation fonts. Definitely a compatibility bug there but I also encountered a problem with Wine 0.9.49 not finding fonts in the windows/fonts directory. To get them to show up at all I had to stick them in ~/.fonts and relogin. To verify that they were registered correctly by Wine I used an old Windows freeware program, FontPage. It worked perfectly. The only issues were that it required the Visual Basic 6 runtime and threed32.ocx wouldn't load. The VB6 runtime will not install but if you run it with "vbrun60sp6.exe /C" it will extract the dlls and you can copy them to the windows/system32 folder (don't overwrite anything). The threed32.ocx problem I solved by looking at the Wine messages when I tried to start FontPage from a terminal. It needs mfc40.dll to be installed in windows/system32.

No comments:

About Me

Omnifarious Implementer = I do just about everything. With my usual occupations this means anything an electrical engineer does not feel like doing including PCB design, electronic troubleshooting and repair, part sourcing, inventory control, enclosure machining, label design, PC support, network administration, plant maintenance, janitorial, etc. Non-occupational includes residential plumbing, heating, electrical, farming, automotive and small engine repair. There is plenty more but you get the idea.